Saturday, October 1, 2011

Singapore summary

This blog is also our diary of our first long holiday and so this post is really for us, but if you are interested read on ....

To use business speak, what we 'take away' with us, ie Singapore for us is:

Multicultural
Friendly to visitors
Safe
Affordable
Affluent
Organised
Disciplined
Clean
Litter free
Dog free
International
Green
Hot (food & temperature)
Humid
Happy
Busy
Fun
Food excellent
Not as regimented as the guidebooks imply
Relaxed
Refusing tips
Not always pedestrian friendly

And our memories

At the Night Safari, the Indian tourist who asked John which language he (John) was speaking. Clearly he had never heard a northern Irish accent before.

Another Indian on the same trip, who asked forgiveness for being late and, when I (Pat) said I would forgive him anything when he was wearing a Manchester United shirt, and we explained that I was born there, asked if I knew Wayne Rooney.... I regretted saying no.

On our first night, being the only Europeans in a Chinese restaurant and the friendliness and kindness of staff and customers in helping us select a delicious meal.

Arriving at a Hawker centre at closing time, selecting the one stall that was open and being served everything left.

Stepping off a bus into the open air and my glasses steaming up.

The public education methods on safety & security issues.

The smell of the forest.

Happy swings (that's swings for swinging) in Orchard Road.




Pat and John on tour