Monday, October 10, 2011

The Great Barrier Reef

With stronger winds predicted later in the week, we decided to go to the reef on Monday. Our vessel was a catamaran motor vessel with about 33 snorkelers on board and a crew of 3.

Leaving and returning to Port Douglas gave us good views of the town and the surrounding countryside. Below you can see Port Douglas point on leaving and the surrounding hills on our return.







It was Pat's first time snorkeling and she was a bit apprehensive but she managed all three sessions with a bit of help. She was a pleased as Punch to have been able to see the sights underwater.


I managed to take some underwater photos with a hired camera. It was very difficult because of the choppy sea and I kept pressing random buttons by mistake just trying to hold onto the camera. It was great fun and I did manage to take one or two nice photos as well as others which will remind us of what we saw.

At the first stop we swam around a couple of very small coral islands only about 60 feet in diameter and about 100 feet apart. There was a bit of a current and the water was choppy but the location kept all of us close to the boat. We had been promised no sharks and no turtles, so of course my first photo was of a camera shy shark, who dived deep and disappeared quickly.



The site had been chosen as it attracts shoals of small fishes some of whom I nearly missed as they were on the surface and I was looking down.



We saw lots of other fish but they were usually too deep for me to get a good photo.




At the second stop there was a guided tour with explanations, sea cucumbers retrieved from the bottom for children to hold. The children, some under ten, were fearless and obviously used to snorkeling, unlike either of us. I did actually snorkel this time as it was less rough as we were protected by the reef.For the first time I had used my swimming goggles and held my breath. I got some good shots of more Zebra fish in coral but managed also to find some Clown fish, Nemo is at 6 o'clock to his mum and dad.



Then it was time for lunch which I ate in spite of apprehensions, being quite prone to seasickness. On the way to our last site we were given a very interesting talk about life on the reef and sex changes in fish. For the last swim we were both feeling more confident and were able to set off together which was marvelous. The best shot this time was of a very colourful Giant Clam.




We arrived back at our cottage at dusk and as soon as we sat down on the terrace the reception committee of Bush Stone Curlews was there to say hello. We now know were the director of Jurassic Park, Spielberg, got his ideas for the behavior of small carnivorous dinosaurs, both movements and sounds!

Pat adds: this was a fantastic day, far exceeding my expectations. At the first stop I thought that I wouldn't be able to manage. The crew realized this and offered to help. I couldn't have done it without them.

Well done Calypso.

Pat and John on tour